Vaschalde, Arthur Adolphe, C.S.B. (1871– 1942)
Vaschalde’s Syriac career flourished at The Catholic University of America (CUA) where he received a Ph.D. in 1901. His dissertation, an edition, translation, and study of three letters of Philoxenos of Mabbug, was published in 1902. Vaschalde taught Syriac and Coptic at CUA from 1910 to 1939. His work on the Coptic versions of the Bible remains an important resource for scholars today. In 1930 he became the editor for the Coptic section of the Corpus Scriptorum Christianorum Orientalium (CSCO). Most of his Syriac publications appear in this series, including editions and translations of writings of Philoxenos of Mabbug, Babai the Great, Yaʿqub of Edessa, and Dionysios bar Ṣalibi.
- Three Letters of Philoxenus Bishop of Mabbogh (485–519) (1902).
- Philoxeni Mabbugensis Tractatus Tres de Trinitate et Incarnatione (CSCO 9–10; 1907).
- Babai Magni Liber de Unione (CSCO 79–80; 1915).
- Jacobi Edesseni Hexaemeron seu in Opus Creationis Libri Septem (CSCO 97; 1932).
- Dionysii bar Salibi, Commentarii in Evangelia, Pars Secunda (CSCO 95, 98, 113–4; 1931–3, 1939–40).
- S. Griffith and M. Blanchard, ‘Henri Hyvernat (1858–1941) and the Beginning of Syriac Studies at The Catholic University of America’, ARAM 5 (1993), 181–96.
- R. J. Scollard, ‘Vaschalde, Reverend Arthur Adolphe’, in The Catholic Encyclopedia and Its Makers (1917), 177.
- R. J. Scollard, ‘Adolphe A. Vaschalde — Priest and Scholar’, The Catholic University Bulletin 9.4 (May 1942), 4, 12.
- R. J. Scollard, ‘Vaschalde, Arthur Adolphe’, in New Catholic Encyclopedia (1967) vol. 14, 541–2.
- R. J. Scollard, Dictionary of Basilian Biography: Lives of Members of the Congregation of Priests of Saint Basil from Its Beginnings in 1822 to 1968 (Toronto: Basilian Press, 1969), 161–63.
Select publications by Vaschalde
How to Cite This Entry
Footnote Style Citation with Date:
Monica J. Blanchard , “Vaschalde, Arthur Adolphe, C.S.B.,” in Gorgias Encyclopedic Dictionary of the Syriac Heritage: Electronic Edition, edited by Sebastian P. Brock, Aaron M. Butts, George A. Kiraz and Lucas Van Rompay (Gorgias Press, 2011; online ed. Beth Mardutho, 2018), https://gedsh.bethmardutho.org/Vaschalde-Arthur-Adolphe-CSB.
Bibliography Entry Citation:
Blanchard, Monica J. “Vaschalde, Arthur Adolphe, C.S.B..” In Gorgias Encyclopedic Dictionary of the Syriac Heritage: Electronic Edition. Edited by Sebastian P. Brock, Aaron M. Butts, George A. Kiraz and Lucas Van Rompay. Digital edition prepared by David Michelson, Ute Possekel, and Daniel L. Schwartz. Gorgias Press, 2011; online ed. Beth Mardutho, 2018. https://gedsh.bethmardutho.org/Vaschalde-Arthur-Adolphe-CSB.
A TEI-XML record with complete metadata is available at https://gedsh.bethmardutho.org/Vaschalde-Arthur-Adolphe-CSB/tei.