Yeshuʿ bar Khayrun (1275–1335) [Syr. Orth.]
Author. He was born in 1275 in Ḥaḥ (Ṭur ʿAbdin) as the son of the teacher and priest Ṣlibo, son of the priest Isḥoq bar Khayrun. In 1299 he became monk in a monastery dedicated to Mary in the neighborhood of Manazgirt (to the north of Lake Van) and priest. Later on, he lived with his father in the Monastery of the Water-Drop (Dayro d-Noṭpho; Arab. Dayr al-Nāṭif or al-Qaṭra), which looks down on Dayr al-Zaʿfarān. He died there on 19 Aug. 1335. He is the author of several poems, a number of which are of liturgical content, as well as of Rules for priests and deacons, and a commentary to the Lexicon of Bar Bahlul. According to the 15th-cent. author Dawid Puniqoyo (known in Arabic as Dāwūd al-Ḥimṣī) he is one of the three men who after the demise of Syriac literature distinguished themselves through their writings (Graf). In addition, Yeshuʿ copied a number of Syriac manuscripts. His father Ṣlibo is also known as an author and copyist.
- Baumstark, Literatur, 327.
- Barsoum, Scattered pearls, 489–91.
- Graf, GCAL, vol. 2, 281. (‘Yašūʿ ibn Ğabrūn’ should be read: Khayrūn).
- H. Kaufhold, ‘Über zwei westsyrische Schriftsteller des 14. Jahrhunderts: Ješūʿ (Īšōʿ) bar Ḫairūn und sein Vater Ṣlīḇō’, in Syrisches Christentum weltweit. Studien zur syrischen Kirchengeschichte. Festschrift Wolfgang Hage, ed. M. Tamcke, W. Schwaigert, and E. Schlarb (1995), 116–26.
- A. Vööbus, ‘Īšō bar Kirūn. A supplement to the history of Syriac literature’, OCP 38 (1972), 253–5.
How to Cite This Entry
Footnote Style Citation with Date:
Hubert Kaufhold , “Yeshuʿ bar Khayrun,” in Gorgias Encyclopedic Dictionary of the Syriac Heritage: Electronic Edition, edited by Sebastian P. Brock, Aaron M. Butts, George A. Kiraz and Lucas Van Rompay (Gorgias Press, 2011; online ed. Beth Mardutho, 2018), https://gedsh.bethmardutho.org/Yeshu-bar-Khayrun.
Bibliography Entry Citation:
Kaufhold, Hubert. “Yeshuʿ bar Khayrun.” In Gorgias Encyclopedic Dictionary of the Syriac Heritage: Electronic Edition. Edited by Sebastian P. Brock, Aaron M. Butts, George A. Kiraz and Lucas Van Rompay. Digital edition prepared by David Michelson, Ute Possekel, and Daniel L. Schwartz. Gorgias Press, 2011; online ed. Beth Mardutho, 2018. https://gedsh.bethmardutho.org/Yeshu-bar-Khayrun.
A TEI-XML record with complete metadata is available at https://gedsh.bethmardutho.org/Yeshu-bar-Khayrun/tei.