Yuḥanon of Mardin (d. 1165) [Syr. Orth.]
Metropolitan of Mardin, author, and restorer of churches. He became a monk on the mountain of Edessa, and from there went to Mardin where he was greatly impressed by the buildings of Mor Ḥnonyo Monastery, despite their state of decay. After 1124/5, when he was appointed metropolitan of Mardin and the surrounding region, he was in a position to carry out restorations both there and in local village churches and monasteries (a list is given), and to encourage the revival of the monastic life. He is also said to have written (or sponsored) four illuminated Gospel lectionaries.
A number of biographical (and autobiographical) notices are incorporated into the W.-Syr. ‘Synodicon’, prefacing his Canons for the Monastery of Mor Ḥnonyo (Dayr al-Zaʿfarān) and some further canons. His liturgical works, on the ‘oil of anointing’ and the myron are preserved in ms. Sharfeh 4/1 (12th cent.; de Vries, 8). His lost work on the calamities that befell Edessa (captured by Zangī in 1144), claiming that they had nothing to do with the will of God, was refuted by Dionysios bar Ṣalibi. Yuḥanon is the subject of a panegyric (unpublished) by Michael Rabo.
- A. Vööbus, The Synodicon in the West Syrian Tradition, vol II (CSCO 375; 1976), 201–10 (biographical notes), 211–55 (canons). (ET in CSCO 376 , 214–69; partial earlier ed. in Assemani, BibOr, vol. II, 217–30)
- Barsoum, Scattered pearls , 429–30.
- W. de Vries, Sakramententheologie bei den syrischen Monophysiten (OCA 125, 1940), 8, 126–33.
- A. Vööbus, Syrische Kanonessammlungen. Westsyrische Originalurkunden, vol. I, A–B (CSCO 307, 317; 1970), 104–21, 375–87.
- A. Vööbus, ‘Die Entdeckung des Panegyrikus des Patriarchen Mika’el über Joḥannan von Marde’, OC 55 (1971), 204–9.
How to Cite This Entry
Footnote Style Citation with Date:
Sebastian P. Brock , “Yuḥanon of Mardin,” in Yuḥanon of Mardin, edited by Sebastian P. Brock, Aaron M. Butts, George A. Kiraz and Lucas Van Rompay (Gorgias Press, 2011; online ed. Beth Mardutho, 2018), https://gedsh.bethmardutho.org/Yuhanon-of-Mardin.
Bibliography Entry Citation:
Brock, Sebastian P. “Yuḥanon of Mardin.” In Yuḥanon of Mardin. Edited by Sebastian P. Brock, Aaron M. Butts, George A. Kiraz and Lucas Van Rompay. Digital edition prepared by David Michelson, Ute Possekel, and Daniel L. Schwartz. Gorgias Press, 2011; online ed. Beth Mardutho, 2018. https://gedsh.bethmardutho.org/Yuhanon-of-Mardin.
A TEI-XML record with complete metadata is available at https://gedsh.bethmardutho.org/Yuhanon-of-Mardin/tei.