Gabriel Qaṭraya (6th/7th cent.) [Ch. of E.]
Author of an important Commentary on the Liturgy. Several Gabriels from Beth Qaṭraye are known from the 6th/7th cent., but this Gabriel (described as bar Lipeh) is probably not to be equated with any of the others. A date of writing prior to the liturgical reforms of Ishoʿyahb III is certain, since he mentions that Shubḥalmaran, metropolitan of Karka d-Beth Slokh was still alive. The Commentary is divided into 5 memre, each with a series of questions and answers. These cover: 1. ramšā on weekdays (15 questions); 2. ṣaprā on weekdays (17 questions); 3. ramšā and lelyā on Sundays (5 questions); 4. ṣaprā on Sundays (9 questions); 5. Eucharistic Mysteries (8 questions, the second of which is a commentary on the Eucharistic rite). This important work is preserved in a single ms. (Brit. Libr. Or. 3336) of the 13th cent. (though the ms. has a date, its reading is uncertain); so far only the commentary on the Eucharist has been published and translated. An abbreviated form of at least much of the work is attributed to Abraham bar Lipeh (ed. R. H. Connolly, in CSCO 71, 76; 1911, 1915). The relationship between Gabriel and Abraham is not clear.
- S. P. Brock ‘Gabriel of Qatar’s Commentary on the Liturgy’, Hugoye 6.2 (2003). (Syr. and ET of 5.2)
- S. H. Jammo, La structure de la messe chaldéene (OCA 207; 1979), 29–48. (LT)
- P. Podipara, in G. Vavanikunnel, Homilies and Interpretation on the Holy Qurbana (1977), 87–104. (ET)
- S. P. Brock, ‘Syriac writers from Beth Qatraye’, ARAM 11/12 (1999/2000), 85–92, esp. 89–92.
- S. P. Brock, ‘The origins of the qanona “Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal” according to Gabriel of Qatar’, Harp 21 (2006), 173–85.
- S. H. Jammo, ‘Gabriel Qatraya et son commentaire sur la liturgie chaldéenne’, OCP 32 (1966), 39–52.
- S. H. Jammo, ‘L’Office du soir chaldéen au temps de Gabriel Qatraya’, OS 12 (1967), 187–210.
- E. J. Kilmartin, ‘John Chrysostom’s influence on Gabriel Qatraya’s theology of Eucharistic consecration’, Theological Studies 42 (1981), 444–57.
How to Cite This Entry
Footnote Style Citation with Date:
Sebastian P. Brock , “Gabriel Qaṭraya,” in Gabriel Qaṭraya, edited by Sebastian P. Brock, Aaron M. Butts, George A. Kiraz and Lucas Van Rompay (Gorgias Press, 2011; online ed. Beth Mardutho, 2018), https://gedsh.bethmardutho.org/Gabriel-Qatraya.
Bibliography Entry Citation:
Brock, Sebastian P. “Gabriel Qaṭraya.” In Gabriel Qaṭraya. Edited by Sebastian P. Brock, Aaron M. Butts, George A. Kiraz and Lucas Van Rompay. Digital edition prepared by David Michelson, Ute Possekel, and Daniel L. Schwartz. Gorgias Press, 2011; online ed. Beth Mardutho, 2018. https://gedsh.bethmardutho.org/Gabriel-Qatraya.
A TEI-XML record with complete metadata is available at https://gedsh.bethmardutho.org/Gabriel-Qatraya/tei.