David, Clemens Joseph (1829–1890) [Syr. Cath.]
Archbishop of Damascus (1879–90) and notable scholar. Together with Toma Audo he stands out as a great luminary of scholarship within the Syr. Churches of the late 19th cent. Born in ʿAmadiyya, he studied in Rome from 1846–55, before returning to Mosul. He returned to Rome 1869–70, serving as an Oriental Consultant during the First Vatican Council, and in 1888 he played an important role at the Synod of Sharfeh. He was closely involved in preparing the edition of the Mosul edition of the Peshitta (1887–91), and had earlier (1877) produced an interesting revision of the Peshitta Psalter, making use of Hebrew (previously he had also worked on a new edition of the Bible in Arabic). Among the most important of his many publications is his Syriac Grammar (Mosul, 1879; 2nd ed. 1896 in 2 vols.). His last years were largely devoted to preparing the printed edition of the Fenqitho, published in seven volumes (Mosul, 1886–96).
- B. F. Affas, Iqlimis Yusuf Daud/Mgr Clement Joseph David (Baghdad, 1985). (in Arabic)
- S. P. Brock, ‘A neglected revision of the Peshitta Psalter’, in Biblical and Near Eastern Essays, ed. C. McCarthy and J. F. Healey (2004), 131–42.
- G. A. Kiraz, ‘Lexica and grammars in the late Syriac tradition: The three bishops: Audo, Manna, and David’, in Foundations for Syriac lexicography, vol. 2, ed. P. J. Williams (2009), 155–63.
- Macuch, Geschichte, 422–5.
- J. Vosté, ‘Clement Joseph David, archevêque syrien de Damas, Notes bio-bibliogaphiques’, OCP 14 (1948), 219–75.
How to Cite This Entry
Footnote Style Citation with Date:
Sebastian P. Brock, “David, Clemens Joseph,” in Gorgias Encyclopedic Dictionary of the Syriac Heritage: Electronic Edition, edited by Sebastian P. Brock, Aaron M. Butts, George A. Kiraz and Lucas Van Rompay (Gorgias Press, 2011; online ed. Beth Mardutho, 2018), https://gedsh.bethmardutho.org/David-Clemens-Joseph.
Bibliography Entry Citation:
Brock, Sebastian P. “David, Clemens Joseph.” In Gorgias Encyclopedic Dictionary of the Syriac Heritage: Electronic Edition. Edited by Sebastian P. Brock, Aaron M. Butts, George A. Kiraz and Lucas Van Rompay. Digital edition prepared by David Michelson, Ute Possekel, and Daniel L. Schwartz. Gorgias Press, 2011; online ed. Beth Mardutho, 2018. https://gedsh.bethmardutho.org/David-Clemens-Joseph.
A TEI-XML record with complete metadata is available at https://gedsh.bethmardutho.org/David-Clemens-Joseph/tei.