Dawid bar Pawlos (8th/9th cent.) [Syr. Orth.]
Author. Born in Beth Shahaq, in the region of Nineveh, he was abbot of the monastery of Mor Sargis, on the Dry Mountain in Sinjar. A marginal note to Dolabani no. 2, states that in 785 (cf. Mingana Syr. 29 for the year) he temporarily moved with others to a monastery on the Euphrates (evidently Qenneshre) and later brought back 170 maʿnyoto of Severus, adapting them for liturgical use in the east. The texts published by Dolabani are mainly letters, prose, and verse, in a learned style, to named correspondents; of particular interest are no. 6, on the authorship of Wisdom (Maccabean date), and no. 14 (LT in Rahmani, 44–6), on points in biblical mss., with reference to several scholars. At the end are two longer poems, on the 7 klimata (also ed. by Cardahi and Gottheil from different mss.), and one on the trees and plants and their symbolism (the first part is given in Qolo Suryoyo 56 , 153–49). He is also author of some short grammatical works (partial ed. Gottheil), a poem on the alphabet (ed. Gottheil), a commentary on Genesis 10 (in ms. British Libr. Add. 14,620; incomplete) and a dialogue with a Melkite on the Trisagion (excerpt in BibOr, vol. 1, 518–9). The attribution to him of the 22 short poems (forming an alphabetic acrostic) published by Qarabashi cannot be correct: each poem contains only a single example of its opening letter, a type of composition, as Barsoum points out, which does not otherwise appear till the 13th cent.
- Barsoum, Scattered Pearls, 372–6.
- Baumstark, Literatur, 272–73.
- G. Cardahi, Liber thesauri de arte poetica syrorum (1875), 41–6. (on 7 klimata )
- F. H. Dolapönu (Dolabani), Egroteh d-Dawid bar Pawlos d-metidaʿ d-Bet Rabban (1953).
- R. Gottheil, ‘Contributions to the history of geography, III’, Hebraica 8 (1891/2), 65–78; 9 (1892/3), 117–8. (on 7 klimata, ‘by a philosopher’, with ET)
- R. Gottheil, ‘Dawidh bar Paulos, a Syriac grammarian’, JAOS 15 (1893), cxi-cxviii.
- R. Gottheil, ‘A midrashic poem on the alphabet, attributed to David bar Paul’, ZA 8 (1893), 86–99.
- ʿAbd al-Masīḥ Nuʿmān d-Qarahbash, Esrin wa-tren mimrin d-ḥekmto d-simin l-mor(y) David bar Pawlos d-Bet Rabban (837†) (1980). (previously published in E. J. Millos, Directorium spirituale , 172–214)
- I. E. Rahmani, Studia Syriaca, vol. I (1904) 44–7. (includes no. 14 in ed. Dolabani)
How to Cite This Entry
Footnote Style Citation with Date:
Sebastian P. Brock , “Dawid bar Pawlos,” in Dawid bar Pawlos, edited by Sebastian P. Brock, Aaron M. Butts, George A. Kiraz and Lucas Van Rompay (Gorgias Press, 2011; online ed. Beth Mardutho, 2018), https://gedsh.bethmardutho.org/Dawid-bar-Pawlos.
Bibliography Entry Citation:
Brock, Sebastian P. “Dawid bar Pawlos.” In Dawid bar Pawlos. Edited by Sebastian P. Brock, Aaron M. Butts, George A. Kiraz and Lucas Van Rompay. Digital edition prepared by David Michelson, Ute Possekel, and Daniel L. Schwartz. Gorgias Press, 2011; online ed. Beth Mardutho, 2018. https://gedsh.bethmardutho.org/Dawid-bar-Pawlos.
A TEI-XML record with complete metadata is available at https://gedsh.bethmardutho.org/Dawid-bar-Pawlos/tei.