Gewargis of Arbela, Pseudo- (9th cent.?) [Ch. of E.]
Unknown author of an important Commentary on the Liturgical rites. An extensive liturgical commentary in seven sections is preserved in a number of mss.; in his Bibliotheca Orientalis Assemani attributed the work to Gewargis of Arbela (9th cent.?), but without any good evidence; as a result the author is normally now referred to as ‘Pseudo-Gewargis of Arbela’ (another wrong attribution is to ʿAbdishoʿ bar Bahrīz). The chapters in each section provide answers to particular questions. The seven sections cover the following topics: 1. the liturgical year (24 questions); 2. ramšā (21 questions); 3. lelyā and ṣaprā (9 questions); 4. the Eucharistic Mysteries (30 questions); 5. Baptism (9 questions); 6. Consecration of a church (8 questions); and 7. Burial, and Marriage (7 questions; the section on Marriage seems to be a secondary addition, though perhaps by the same author). Connolly’s edition also includes the short ‘Commentary on the (liturgical) Services’ by Abraham bar Lipeh of Beth Qaṭraye (II, 161–80); in many places this is simply an abbreviation of Gabriel Qaṭraya’s Commentary.
- S. P. Brock, in Hugoye 1.1 (1998). (ET of 5.5)
- R. H. Connolly, Anonymi auctoris Expositio Officiorum Ecclesiae Georgio Arbelensi vulgo adscripta (CSCO 64, 71–2, 76; 1911–1915). (Syr. with LT)
- R. H. Connolly, in A Commentary on the Mass by the Nestorian George, Bishop of Mosul and Arbela, ed. R. Matheus (Kottayam, 2000). (ET of 4)
- I. Emlek, Mysterienfeier der Ostsyrischen Kirche im 9. Jahrhundert (2004). (GT of 4)
- C. Leonhard, ‘Die Initiation nach der Expositio Officiorum Ecclesiae’, in Syriaca, ed. M. Tamcke (2002), 321–54.
How to Cite This Entry
Footnote Style Citation with Date:
Sebastian P. Brock , “Gewargis of Arbela, Pseudo-,” in Gorgias Encyclopedic Dictionary of the Syriac Heritage: Electronic Edition, edited by Sebastian P. Brock, Aaron M. Butts, George A. Kiraz and Lucas Van Rompay (Gorgias Press, 2011; online ed. Beth Mardutho, 2018), https://gedsh.bethmardutho.org/Gewargis-of-Arbela-Pseudo-.
Bibliography Entry Citation:
Brock, Sebastian P. “Gewargis of Arbela, Pseudo-.” In Gorgias Encyclopedic Dictionary of the Syriac Heritage: Electronic Edition. Edited by Sebastian P. Brock, Aaron M. Butts, George A. Kiraz and Lucas Van Rompay. Digital edition prepared by David Michelson, Ute Possekel, and Daniel L. Schwartz. Gorgias Press, 2011; online ed. Beth Mardutho, 2018. https://gedsh.bethmardutho.org/Gewargis-of-Arbela-Pseudo-.
A TEI-XML record with complete metadata is available at https://gedsh.bethmardutho.org/Gewargis-of-Arbela-Pseudo-/tei.