van der Ploeg, Johannes P. M. (1909–2004)
Scholar of OT and Syriac, professor of OT and Semitic studies at the Catholic University of Nijmegen (now: Radboud University), The Netherlands, from 1951 to 1979; Dominican Father; and Chorbishop of the Syriac Catholic Church since 1963.
Even though Syriac was not always at the center of van der Ploeg’s academic work, he left some important publications in this field. Widely kown and used among Syr. scholars is his 1983 book on the Christians of St. Thomas and their Syr. mss. This focuses on a number of important libraries in Kerala and provides descriptions of the main Syr. mss., along with more general information on the religious, literary, and cultural history of the various Christian communities. To one of these mss., preserved in the library of the Malankara Catholic archbishop at Trivandrum, he devoted a follow-up publication, in which he edited, translated, and annotated a not otherwise known version of the Book of Judith (one of the deuterocanonical or apocryphal OT texts). A Festschrift was presented to him in 1982.
- Oud-Syrisch Monniksleven (1942).
- The Christians of St. Thomas in South India and their Syriac manuscripts (Placid Lecture Series 3; 1983).
- The Book of Judith (Daughter of Merari) (Môrân ’Ethô Series 3; 1991). (Syr. and ET)
- W. C. Delsman et al. (ed.), Von Kanaan bis Kerala. Festschrift für Prof. Mag. Dr. Dr. J. P. M. van der Ploeg O. P. (Alter Orient und Altes Testament 211; 1982).
- H. Teule, ‘In memoriam Prof. Mag. Dr. J. P. M. van der Ploeg O.P.’, JEastCS 57 (2005), 175–76.
- L. Van Rompay, ‘J. P. M. van der Ploeg O. P. (1909–2004)’, Hugoye 8.1 (2005).
Select Syriac publications by van der Ploeg
How to Cite This Entry
Footnote Style Citation with Date:
Lucas Van Rompay , “van der Ploeg, Johannes P. M.,” in van der Ploeg, Johannes P. M., edited by Sebastian P. Brock, Aaron M. Butts, George A. Kiraz and Lucas Van Rompay (Gorgias Press, 2011; online ed. Beth Mardutho, 2018), https://gedsh.bethmardutho.org/van-der-Ploeg-Johannes-P-M.
Bibliography Entry Citation:
Van Rompay, Lucas. “van der Ploeg, Johannes P. M..” In van der Ploeg, Johannes P. M.. Edited by Sebastian P. Brock, Aaron M. Butts, George A. Kiraz and Lucas Van Rompay. Digital edition prepared by David Michelson, Ute Possekel, and Daniel L. Schwartz. Gorgias Press, 2011; online ed. Beth Mardutho, 2018. https://gedsh.bethmardutho.org/van-der-Ploeg-Johannes-P-M.
A TEI-XML record with complete metadata is available at https://gedsh.bethmardutho.org/van-der-Ploeg-Johannes-P-M/tei.